Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Wisdom in Traditional Practices

 



Tradition and traditionalism have become "bad words."  They are now often linked with misogyny, abuses, legalism, and even white supremacy.  Unfortunately, there is plenty of evidence to show those links are not unfounded, nor those accusations false.  However, among the chaos of these issues and crimes there is still wisdom to be found in tradition, as well as a growing group of people who yearn for tradition, but keep their distance from traditionalism.

What's the difference?

Tradition is the cultivated culture.  It's discerning the good and wise out of the old ways and old practices.

Traditionalism is a cult-like observance of most or all of the perceived old ways and old practices regardless of wisdom and discernment.  

For example, Tradition might appreciate and follow the beauty and comfort of a mother staying at home with her young children.  There is wisdom, peace, and practicality behind that practice.  Traditionalism would strictly enforcement mothers staying home, even the point of daughters staying home and women, in general, not receiving a quality education or career opportunities because "they're just staying at home, anyway."

Within the tradition-appreciation camp is a spectrum.  Everyone has their own preferences and abilities.  There are beautiful, large families that can fairly easily afford to maintain a certain traditional aesthetic and practice that perhaps another family cannot.  Perhaps mother is naturally and financially equipped to provide a quality Catholic education at home to her children, and the children are naturally academic and receptive.  However, another family might struggle to do similar, or be completely unable to.  

Personally, I have always been drawn to tradition, to orthodoxy, to the old ways, however, I often find myself in traditionalist legalism camps to my detriment.  It can be so easy to fall into radicalism and feel terribly lonely and out of place in the world.  It is so easy to struggle with wishing not only your life, but the culture at large, to adhere to your aesthetic.  

After bouncing around fundamentalism, traditionalism, and then pendulum swinging out of them, I decided to really think and consider all these facets.  There is wisdom and beauty in tradition and in orthodoxy.  I do believe they are worth preserving and observing.   But, I simply cannot fall into perfect practice of some long-ago, rose-colored aesthetic. 

It needs to be more than just forced aesthetic, too.  Ultimately, a belief in tradition and orthodoxy is a belief that God established these practices because of the wisdom behind them and the glory it brings Him and the peace and security it ought to bring us.  

St. Ignatius of Loyola gives us rather simple example of testing the spirit behind things.  Does it bring consolation, or does it bring desolation?  

That's not to say that any time something causes us stress it is not of God.  Obedience, humility, meekness, humbleness, etc can all cause stress and discomfort in our lives.  But, we have to dig deeper than that.  We have to get to the spirit of it and see where our conscience, our souls are in these matters.

Here's an example from my own life:

I'm on Twitter and I can spend a rather large amount of time scrolling, commenting, and getting into arguments.  However, it's a way to brain-dump and entertain myself.  I get some weird rush out of it.  But, ultimately, desolation.  I often walk away frustrated, or my brain fills up with MORE stuff.  The fruitless arguments might keep me up all night trying to come up with the perfect response in under so many characters.  

On the other side there's prayer, particularly the Rosary and Novenas.  As easy as it is to Tweet is as hard as it is for me to pray.  Why is 15 to 20 minutes of the Rosary hard when hours on Twitter are so easy?  But, how does my spirit respond?  Consolation or desolation?  I think we all know the answer.  I am consoled.

Therefore, as I discern my yearning for tradition and orthodoxy, but also understand my past history with legalism and extremism in the matter, I am now better equipped to discern tradition from traditionalism.  I can listen to homilies and podcasts from more traditional Catholics and be able to "eat the meat and spit out the bones" so to speak, rather than worrying that it HAS to be this way.

I can also pray in earnest for certain things, like I would really like to be able to be an at-home mom again.  I can clearly see how my children need me and how detrimental it is to them that I am gone to work.  However, I can also figure out how to manage better while still having to work.  

When it comes to tradition, my mind keeps returning to Mary.  I feel like she must be my guide in this.  Is she not the Seat of Wisdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Large Families are Celebrated, and it Hurts

I just realized this is tagged with Traditional Catholic Femininity's url. I do encourage you to check out her page. I'll link it HE...